For my project today I was inspired by Tim Holtz’s March tag from 2015. I really loved working on these tags! So much fun getting in some crafty time and getting messy! 😀 I used different techniques products for the 2 backgrounds and altered my chipboard balloons using 2 different methods. For the tag on the left, I used Distress Stains and blotted my tag into the color on my non stick craft mat. For the tag on the right, I used distress paints and dragged the tag through the color, making sure I got good coverage for the base. I then used stazon ink in black and stamped light touches of the CE text stamp and brick, though most of that got covered by the time I was done. lol In TH’s example, he uses black ink and clear embossing powder for his stamped image, but wouldn’t you know my black ink ran out and I didn’t have a refill available, so I swiped my tags with a dryer sheet to help prevent stray bits of embossing powder from clinging to my background and used Versamark clear in with black embossing powder. I then used the same Steampunk Hot Air Balloon Stamp for both tags. I slipped on the tag on the left, as you can see, I smeared the image, but got it crisp on the one on the right. lol I used the same method for stenciling on both tags and just taped the tag to the back of the stencil to keep it from slipping and worked around the image rather than creating a mask. I immediately covered the modeling paste with embossing powder and set aside to allow it to dry fully before activating the embossing powder with a heat gun.
Though the 2 chipboard hot air balloons were both heat embossed, I altered them differently. For the one on the left, I used a versamark clear reinker and squeezed out a couple of drops onto my craft mat. I then dipped a paint brush into it and applied it to the areas I wanted purple, sprinkled it with the appropriate embossing powder and heat embossed that portion. Then coated the remaining portion lightly in gesso, applied the ink that part, and sprinkled it with a yellow embossing powder and heated that. For the one on the right, I coated the entire piece lightly with gesso, then colored the details with PITT markers, then used clear embossing powder on the whole piece to give it shine.
This pic just show s a bit of the stamping that got layered over:
Hope you enjoyed my TH inspired project! Here are the fabulous CE products I got to play with on my project: