Happy Monday everyone! As many of you know our area was hit hard by “Winter Storm Knife”..the snowvember storm. LOL, there are so many more creative names they could have came up with for the name of this storm. The system dropped around 6ft of snow in our area. WE are currently in a thaw and have flood warnings. We are located in an area where it shouldn’t effect us. There is still a lot of cleaning to do. Being house bound I sent a lot of time creating. This year I decided that the theme for our tree will be steampunk. I am sharing the Steampunk hat tree topper I created and a few smaller steampunk hat ornaments. We have a pink tree so I tried to keep everything in that sort of girly grunge theme.
Warning: Very picture heavy post.
The topper is rather heavy but it should be okay. It was a lot of fun to make.
I altered our new steam punk goggles first applying gesso. I then dabbed some brushed pewter distress stain and swiped some black ink for a tarnished look. The clock with wings was altered with maya gold grey paint and I added some acrylic silver paint for a metallic look. I layered many different Tim Holtz metal embellishments. All the gears were altered using black soot distress paint as a base coat and then added brushed pewter or brushed brass distress stain to them. There are some that have all 3 colors on them. For the pipe works pieces I simply added brushed brass stain. My daughters boyfriend asked how long it took me to make this. I believe it was close to at least 10 hours.
For the seam of the hat I simply cut a rectangular piece of chipboard and added some nuts. Embellishing this hat was so much fun. I added chains, washers,nuts, screw looking brads.
Now onto the fun mini steam punk ornament hats. I altered the mini steampunk goggles using brushed brass and a little black ink. I altered many of these pieces the same as I did the tree topper. Although I did leave some of the gears a more solid metal color. I added feathers to girly them up.
The top left hat was created with different size rectangular card stock paper and the rivet effect was made with glue. Once all glued I painted black and added brushed pewter or brass stain.
The 2nd hat was altered with the same pink material as the tree topper hat. I altered the mini steampunk clock the same as the clock with wings above.
The third hat was altered with burlap and gears.
The fourth hat was altered using tissue paper, modge podge and maya gold in grey paint with and decorated with gears.
All have additional metal embellishments added to them.
Thanks for taking the time to stop by the blog!! I hope everyone has an amazing Thanksgiving! Love and hugs to all.
Click the thumbnails of products used for a direct link to the Creative Embellishments Store.